
Residents of Ugakwoche village in Egbule Obube, located in Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State, took to the streets in protest over what they described as a large-scale takeover of their ancestral farmland by the state government. The community said the land, estimated to be about 200 hectares, is their main source of livelihood, and they are calling on the government to stop any further move to take over what is left.
On Wednesday, men, women, youths, and elderly people from the area gathered at their village square and marched for over two kilometres to the affected land, which lies along the road leading to Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport. Dressed in black to show mourning, the protesters carried placards with different messages and openly displayed their frustration. Some cried and lay on the ground to show how deeply the situation has affected them.
Many of the signs they carried expressed fear and anger, with messages saying their land is almost gone, their future is at risk, and they have no other place to farm. Others called on the state governor to urgently step in and warned that taking away their farmland could push young people into crime due to lack of jobs.
In response, the Imo State Commissioner for Lands and Survey, Barrister Enyinna Onuegbu, rejected the claims that the government was newly taking over the land. According to him, the land had already been acquired in the past for development projects, and what is happening now is simply the clearing and recovery of that same land.
Speaking for the community, the village chairman, Pastor Cletus Opara, said the people were not informed before work started on the land. He explained that government agents allegedly entered the farmland last month and began clearing it without any prior discussion or agreement with the community.
He added that the community had earlier given up about 100 hectares of land for the construction of a Nigerian Air Force base because it was seen as a project that would benefit the public. However, he said the new move to take over the remaining farmland without proper consultation is unacceptable and could destroy the people’s means of survival.

Another leader in the area, Hon. Kelechi Opara, also criticised the situation. He said most people in the community depend on farming to survive, and losing their land would leave them with nothing. He further explained that part of the land was first taken in 2017 under former Governor Rochas Okorocha, while a later government panel reportedly returned some portions to the community.
He expressed shock that the same government is now moving to take over the remaining land again, even extending close to residential areas. He appealed to the state governor to intervene and protect the community from what he described as unfair treatment.
Meanwhile, the commissioner maintained that no new land was being seized. He said the current activity is focused on recovering land that had already been allocated for public use. He advised the community to formally present their complaints to the governor through proper channels.

Also reacting, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Monitoring and Compliance, Chinasa Nwaneri, said the land is planned for a public project, including the construction of a substation linked to the Orashi Power Station. He insisted that the development is meant to benefit the wider public and not to harm the community.
