2027 election battle: Court schedules May 15 for Jonathan disqualification case

2027 election battle: Court schedules May 15 for Jonathan disqualification case
2027 election battle: Court schedules May 15 for Jonathan disqualification case

A Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed May 15 for the final hearing in a case challenging the eligibility of former President Goodluck Jonathan to contest the 2027 presidential election.

The suit was filed by a lawyer, Johnmary Jideobi, who is asking the court to stop Jonathan from entering the race. He is also seeking an order to prevent political parties and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from accepting or processing his name as a candidate.

At the sitting on Monday, Justice Peter Lifu adjourned the matter after the plaintiff and his lawyer failed to appear in court. No explanation was given for their absence.

The Independent National Electoral Commission and the Attorney General of the Federation were also not represented in court.

Following the absence of the parties, Jonathan’s legal team, led by Senior Advocate Chris Uche, asked the court to dismiss the case, saying it had been abandoned and lacked proper follow-up. He also urged the court to award costs against the plaintiff.

However, the judge noted that there was no proof that hearing notices were properly delivered to all parties involved. He said proper service of court documents is necessary before any hearing can proceed fairly.

Instead of striking out the case, Justice Lifu decided to give the matter one last chance and ordered that fresh hearing notices be issued to all parties.

The court then fixed May 15 as the deadline for a definite hearing of the case.

In the suit, Jideobi is asking the court to interpret provisions of the 1999 Constitution and decide whether Jonathan is still qualified to run for president again.

See also  Adeleke orders removal of Osun monarch sentenced to prison in US

He argued that Jonathan has already served the maximum number of terms allowed, having completed the tenure of late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua in 2010 and later served a full elected term after the 2011 election.

According to court documents, Jonathan assumed office on May 6, 2010, following Yar’Adua’s death.

The plaintiff further stated that reports of Jonathan’s possible return to the 2027 race made it necessary to seek a court ruling to prevent any constitutional breach.

He warned that if Jonathan were allowed to contest and win again, it would amount to a third time taking the presidential oath of office.

The suit maintains that it is in the public interest and aims to protect the Nigerian Constitution and electoral process from violation.

Meanwhile, Goodluck Jonathan has said he is still consulting before deciding whether to join the 2027 presidential race.