Youths Set Gwarzo LG Secretariat on Fire During Protest Over Insecurity

Youths Set Gwarzo LG Secretariat on Fire During Protest Over Insecurity
Youths Set Gwarzo LG Secretariat on Fire During Protest Over Insecurity

There was serious tension in Gwarzo on Sunday after angry youths staged a protest over the worsening security situation in the area, with parts of the local government secretariat reportedly set on fire during the unrest.

The demonstration was said to have started peacefully as residents gathered to express frustration over repeated bandit attacks that have continued to create fear across several communities in the local government area.

According to eyewitnesses, a large number of youths flooded the streets, carrying placards and chanting against the rising insecurity while calling on the government and security agencies to take urgent action.

The protesters later moved toward the Gwarzo Local Government Secretariat, where the situation reportedly became violent after some demonstrators entered parts of the building.

Moments later, fire broke out in a section of the secretariat, causing panic among residents and people nearby as thick smoke covered parts of the area.

Residents who spoke after the incident said frustration had been growing for a long time due to the constant attacks and lack of adequate security response.

One resident explained that many people in the community now live in fear because attacks by armed groups have become more frequent in recent weeks.

Another community member appealed for peace, warning that destroying public property would not solve the insecurity problem facing the area.

He stressed that what the community truly needs is stronger security measures and quick government intervention to protect lives and property.

Following the unrest, security personnel were deployed across Gwarzo to restore calm and prevent further violence, while authorities reportedly began investigations into the incident.

See also  NMA demands justice, threatens N1bn suit against EFCC over alleged professor assault