Ex-Kogi governor Bello not linked to instructions on Abuja property – EFCC witness

Ex-Kogi governor Bello not linked to instructions on Abuja property – EFCC witness
Ex-Kogi governor Bello not linked to instructions on Abuja property – EFCC witness

The 14th prosecution witness in the ongoing money laundering trial involving former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello and two others has told the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory that he never had any direct communication with the defendants regarding the disputed property before the court.

The witness, Ramadan Jibrin, a staff member of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), made this known while being cross-examined by defence counsel Abdullahi Yahaya, SAN.

He stated clearly that he never received any instructions from Yahaya Bello, Shuaib Oricha, or Abdusalam Hudu in relation to the transaction linked to the property at the centre of the case.

The two co-defendants are facing charges alongside the former governor in an alleged ₦110 billion money laundering case filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Jibrin also confirmed that he had earlier testified as a prosecution witness in a related matter before the Federal High Court, adding that he did not personally meet any of the defendants throughout the process.

He told the court that his involvement in the transaction concerning the property at No. 35 Danube Street, Maitama, Abuja, came through one Shehu Bello Bala, who contacted him and requested assistance.

According to him, he was asked to help verify details about the property after it was introduced for sale.

The witness further admitted that he was not present when payment for the property was made and said he only learned about the transaction details from another individual, Yakubu Haruna.

Under cross-examination, defence counsel questioned his knowledge of the payment process, including the currency used, which the witness confirmed he was only informed about and did not witness.

See also  No safety problem or rejection – Ogun speaks on Hajj flight adjustment

Jibrin explained that he first received a call in January 2022 from Shehu Bello Bala, who informed him that agents had presented the property for sale and requested his help in carrying out due diligence.

He said he later received information that payment was to be made after Friday prayers on January 15, 2022, and was asked to stay on standby.

The witness added that he worked with Ali Bello through Shehu Bala during the process.

He also told the court that he was given the name of a company, White Tree Nigeria Limited, to assist in preparing transaction documents.

According to him, he prepared a deed of assignment between Palchi Ventures Limited and White Tree Nigeria Limited, as well as a power of attorney between both parties.

He said the completed documents were later passed to Barrister Yakubu for execution, returned in March 2022, and then forwarded to Shehu Bello Bala.

The trial judge, Justice Maryann Anenih, subsequently fixed ruling on a pending application for May 22 and adjourned the case to June 16 and 17 for continuation of hearing.